If you are a foreigner and you live or work in Romania, getting a car registered on your name might be too much of a hassle. You are required to fill multiple applications and you have to visit 6-7 authorities to collect all the documents required to complete the Romanian car registration procedure. The entire process can take at least a couple of weeks, depending on each case.
Car registration fees for Romania
First of all, you can’t register a car in Romania, on your name, unless you are a denizen (resident) in our country.
Assuming you bought a car from another country and you want to register it in Romania, here is a list of fees and taxes that you might have to pay (an exact calculation can not be done, for a generic case).
- authorized Romanian translation of the car procurement papers (invoice, proof of payment etc): around 100 – 200 lei, depending on each translator;
- VAT tax – 24% of the invoiced car value (you might have to pay this tax if you purchase the car from a non-EU country or if you bought it, as new, from another EU country);
- car authentication & technical inspection performed at the Romanian Car Registry (450 lei). If you want to register an exotic car and its model was never previously registered in Romania, you will have to pass further tests, so the CO2 emissions are calculated;
- mandatory car insurance (RCA): it’s value depends on the car data (age, engine etc) and on the owner’s details (age, previous car accidents etc);
- car registration tax (between 60 and 145 lei);
- car pollution tax (so called “timbrul de mediu”): this is the largest tax that you might have to pay. This tax is payable only if it wasn’t previously paid by a previous owner of that car (so you have to pay it, if you buy a car from abroad). The amount of this tax is calculated depending on the car age, EURO standard, level of CO2 emissions and engine capacity. For your review, here is an online car tax calculator;
- fee for the car registration certificate (37 lei);
- car number plate (40 lei for a random number, 85 lei for a pre-selected plate number).
If you want us to take care of the entire registration procedure, please drop us a line at email@example.com or call us at +40-31-4322567.
If you have any questions about the Romanian car registration procedure, please feel free to post a comment below. We will do our best to assist you.